November 28, 2015
Revised timeline and finishing budget
for our documentary film outreach project.
Here’s the estimated timeline and minimum in finishing funds we currently need for the film (assuming most music rights are donated, and not including animation.)
Goal is to get the film done in a three month window once all funds have been raised. To see last year’s (2014) projected timeline and finishing funds budget click here.
- $5,000 – Camera Rig and sound equip to film original b-roll
- $10,000 – Final Editing, 3 months of editor working closely with Tamara & visual artist (animations/ b-roll/ music)
- $17,500 – Creative & Production Team, 3 months of professional fees, salaries, etc.
- $10,500 – LSAF operating costs for 3 months (office/edit suite/phones/ postage/ etc. to support work on finishing film)
- $17,000 – Picture Finishing (estimate, includes DCP by a Local PDX studio.) Sound Finishing is being donated.
- $10,000 – Music Rights (our biggest potential challenge—as music for a documentary like this is often close to $40,000—however we’re hoping other musicians whose music we have selected will opt for donating the rights to their music like The Who and other popular artists so generously have!)
$70,000 TOTAL Estimate
This does not include:
- Image design work (DVD cases, posters, packaging, etc.)
- Animation (we are awaiting a bid for animation of scientific concepts, titles and transition devices & animation may be donated)
- NYC & Los Angeles Oscar qualifying run (approximately $20,000)
- Any other costs for distribution concept outlined below
Distribution Concept/ Timeline
Step One: Theatrical Premiers
- New York City Oscar Qualifying Run* [more info here.]
- Los Angeles Oscar Qualifying Run*
Step Two: Theatrical “Run” & Cross-Country In-Person Tour
- Cost depends on whether or not the film gets “picked up” for distribution by an independent distribution company
- Summer Cross Country Tour – read full concept here
Step Three: Digital streaming. May include channels like Netflix or Amazon.
Step Four: DVD distribution
Step Five: Partnering with schools, public health departments, universities, hospitals and other organizations for community public screenings and ongoing educational programs based around the content of the film including CEU (continuing education unit) programs for doctors, nurses, childcare workers, teachers, special ed specialists and others.
*Tamara will be present for post-screening conversations with the audience.