This is the December 13, 2014 update for finishing the film. The dates here were representative of the timeline and costs IF the funds were raised in early 2015. Since this did not happen we have revised our timeline and budget and in November 2015 are publishing an updated post detailing the NEW timeline and new/revised budget, but wanted to leave this post up for context/ posterity.
(Please consider joining our “Honor Roll”)
Here’s the estimated minimum in finishing funds we currently need for the film (assuming most music rights and remaining animation is donated) – in order to get the film done in a three month window once funds are raised. This has been updated to include production staff salaries and fees (which were not included in the previous estimate.) If we do not raise the full amount at once we will do what we can as funds are raised (and the end result will be that the film will take longer to finish.)
- $9,000 – Getty Images (Getty is donating $17,000 worth of the total value ($26,000) of the images we are using.)
- $17,000 – Final Editing, 3-4 weeks with team of two top/ award-winning editors working closely with Tamara & visual artist (animations/ Getty Images/ music)
- $4,500 – “Edit Suite” (office/ phones / internet/overhead / computers) for final stretch of production run (3 months)
- $25,000 – Creative & Production Team / fees and salaries (3 months)
- $17,000 – Picture Finishing (estimate, includes DCP? – Local PDX studio / Sound Finishing & Animation are being donated, possibility of a partial donation for Picture Finishing)
- $10,000 – Music Rights (our biggest potential challenge—as music for a documentary like this is often close to $40,000—however we’re hoping other musicians whose music we have selected will opt for donating the rights to their music like The Who and other popular artists so generously have!)
$82,500 – TOTAL Estimate
This does not include image design work (DVD cases, posters, packaging, etc.) – which we are also tentatively getting donated.
Distribution Concept/ Plan
Step One – Theatrical Premiers
- $10,000 – New York City Oscar Qualifying Run* [Read this post to understand our motivation here.]
- $10,000 – Los Angeles Oscar Qualifying Run*
Step Two – Theatrical “Run” & Cross-Country In-Person Tour
- Cost and Opportunity Depends on whether or not the film gets “picked up” for distribution by an independent distribution company
- Summer 2015 Cross Country Tour – read full concept here
Step Three – Digital streaming (timing depends on Step Two and other considerations)
Step Four – DVD distribution (will post costs here when we have more info)
- Goal to have DVD distribution by Summer/Fall 2015
Step Five – Partnering with schools, public health departments, universities, hospitals and other organizations for community public screenings and ongoing educational programs based around the content of the film.
*Tamara will be present for each of these – for post-screening conversations with the audience.